Career decisions

Wait for command or move airlines? How to decide

By Captain Adi · 23 October 2026 · 7 min read

Years into my career at my first airline, my command upgrade was due. Then the airline froze upgrades after events that no one there could control. I had to make the choice a lot of first officers face at some point: wait, or move.

I moved. I joined a new airline in a new region and flew the Boeing 777 in the Middle East. In 2018 I joined my current airline as a direct-entry captain. It worked out for me, but moving isn't always the right answer. Here's how I'd think it through today.

Get facts first, not crew-room rumours

Crew rooms are full of upgrade predictions. Most of them are guesses. Before you decide anything, find out:

What you give up when you move

What you might gain

Direct-entry captain jobs: read the minimums carefully

Direct-entry captain (DEC) jobs exist, but not everywhere. Many airlines with seniority-based systems only fill captain seats from within. Where DEC jobs are advertised, the minimums are substantial.

For example, a >Riyadh Air advert for a direct-entry A321 captain (viewed October 2026) asked for at least 5,000 hours on multi-crew, multi-engine aircraft, including 1,500 hours of recent command time on Airbus aircraft, plus ICAO English Level 5 or higher. Requirements change, so always check the airline's own careers page.

Notice the catch. Most DEC adverts ask for command time you already have. If your upgrade is frozen, you may not qualify as a DEC anywhere yet. Then the realistic choice is a right-seat move to an airline with a clearer path to command. Know which one you're actually choosing.

It's also worth reading what other pilots say. In one >PPRuNe discussion about getting command before moving abroad, an experienced poster argues that DEC training can be tough because the training department doesn't know you yet. That's one pilot's opinion, not data, but it's a good reason to prepare properly for both the selection and the training.

Seven questions to answer on paper

Write your answers down before you talk to anyone. It stops the loudest voice in the crew room from deciding for you.

  1. If I stay, what is my honest best-case and worst-case date for command?
  2. If I move, what do I lose in seniority, and how long would it take to rebuild?
  3. Do I meet the published minimums for the jobs I want, today?
  4. What does my family need, and what will a move cost them?
  5. What does my contract say about notice, bonds and training costs?
  6. Could I pass that airline's selection now? If not, how long do I need to prepare?
  7. If the move went wrong, what's my fallback?

If your answers to 3 and 6 are "no" and "a long time", that isn't a reason to give up. It tells you where to start.

My bottom line

There's no universal right answer. Waiting can be the smart choice if the timeline is real and the airline is good to you. Moving can be the smart choice if the timeline is out of your hands. Either way, decide on facts. And if you do move, don't underestimate the selection. After years at one airline, a new airline's technical interview can be a shock. Prepare for it like a checkride.

Captain Adi
Current A320 captain with 20+ years on the F50, 737, 777 and A320, and three airline selections across Asia and the Middle East. More about me.

Independent general guidance from a candidate's perspective. Not affiliated with any airline or authority, and based on no confidential material. Always follow your own airline's approved documents.